18 October, 2020
Recipe: Delicious Slow cooker 15 bean & ham soup with or without pasta
Slow cooker 15 bean & ham soup with or without pasta. Works great with a leftover ham bone after the holidays! See cooking tips below the recipe for more info. Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
Cover with water and soak the beans overnight. Just toss the seasoning packet in the trash. The next morning chop the vegetables. You can cook Slow cooker 15 bean & ham soup with or without pasta using 23 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Slow cooker 15 bean & ham soup with or without pasta
- Prepare 1 bag of dried hurst 15 bean soup mix with seasoning packet.
- You need of Optional 👇.
- It’s 1 tsp. of baking soda plus enough water to soak beans overnight.
- It’s 2 cups of diced ham or 2 to 3 ham hocks.
- It’s 1 of small yellow onion diced.
- You need 2 of carrots peeled and diced.
- You need 2 stalks of celery peeled and diced.
- It’s 1 Tbsp. of garlic minced.
- It’s 1/4 cup of butter.
- You need 2 tsp. of dried basil.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp. of black pepper.
- It’s 1 tsp. of dried thyme.
- You need 1 of bay leaf.
- Prepare 4 cups of water.
- Prepare 4 cups of low sodium chicken broth.
- Prepare 1 (14.5 oz) of can Italian flavored diced tomatoes or use petite >.
- It’s of tomatoes with 1 tsp. Italian seasonings mixed in.
- Prepare 1 tsp. of salt.
- It’s 3 cups of chopped kale.
- You need 1/2 of lemon juiced.
- You need 2 tsp. of hot sauce.
- It’s of (Optional)1 1/2 cups ditalina pasta.
- You need of Shredded Parmesan cheese.
Add the ham hock, beans, celery onion, bay leaves, garlic, thyme, chicken broth, salt, and pepper to the slow cooker. I hope you enjoy this recipe and have a great weekend. The slow, even heat is ideal, especially for larger dried beans, and it cooks canned bean combinations to perfection. Plus, you can take the slow cooker with your bean dish along to a party or potluck and plug it in for serving.
Slow cooker 15 bean & ham soup with or without pasta step by step
- Place the beans in a colander and sort out any debris, rinse beans and either add to slow cooker or to a pot and cover with water and add 1 teaspoon baking soda and let it sit overnight it's optional but i prefer it..
- If you soaked the beans give them a quick rinse and add to slow cooker.
- Add in ham, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, butter, basil, thyme, pepper, bay leaf, broth and water.
- Cover slow cooker and don't open lid while cooking. Set on high for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours remove bay leaf and shred ham hocks if used and discard bone and add in tomatoes, hot sauce, kale, salt, lemon juice and pasta if adding. Stir up and cover and cook for 20 more minutes and then stir in flavor packet that was in with the beans. Serve and top with some Parmesan cheese if desired. It's also great with buttered cornbread on the side. Enjoy !.
If your water is a bit hard or you have trouble with dry beans softening in the slow cooker, try adding some baking. One of the best ways to guarantee perfectly cooked beans — ones that emerge creamy and tender instead of crunchy or mushy — is cooking them ever so gently over low, steady heat. Hmm … low and steady heat, you say? Sounds to me like a job for the slow cooker. Serve ladled over a piece of buttered cornbread and it's sheer comfort with each and every bite.